Sunday, April 12, 2009

Documentary you MUST watch!


There is one documentary that launched my interest in researching childbirth. The Business Of Being Born opened my eyes to the misconceptions modern women have about giving birth. If you are pregnant or plan on ever being pregnant, I urge you to get this from your local library, rent it, or just buy it and share it with your friends. While this documentary focuses on home birth, keep an open mind and realize that it still has great information you can use even if you plan on giving birth in a hospital. The most important lesson I learned from it was that women need to take control of their own care. Ask questions, trust your gut, and don't be intimidated by a doctor because of his or her credentials. This documentary is incredibly empowering. Hopefully it will prompt you to start asking questions, and research to get those questions answered (like I did!).

3 comments:

  1. It was definitely an interesting documentary to watch. I thought it was too bad the whole thing was taped in New York (?) where apparently women aren't able to make choices in the hospital. So sad! It's definitely different here! Being a L&D nurse, we do everything we can to accommodate a woman's wishes while she's in the hospital (as long as she and her baby aren't in danger). I think it's totally possible to have the birth you want in a hospital, at least on the west coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that in Oregon and Washington the concept of midwives, doulas, and having a lot of different options for birthing is becoming the norm. I think in the rest of the nation, though, like the midwest and east coast, women don't know they have options. I remember my mom's friend had a homebirth when I was little, and it seemed like everyone thought that was the equivalent to suicide. There's a lot of ignorance and misinformation out there. There's definitely a stigma around the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TBOBB was informative, but like any documentary it definitely came with a built-in bias. Some people don't know they have options, so for the purpose of education it's good. I have a great doctor who respects my wishes--even going so far as to let my husband "catch" the baby, or gown up and reach in to feel the head (may be TMI, but for him being medically-inclined, it was cool)--so I'm happy with my hospital births, but it's always good to be informed about your options.

    ReplyDelete