Sunday, April 12, 2009

Introduction

Welcome to Parental Guidance Suggested!

This blog is meant to be a source of other resources:-) Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to share any information I come across. So I thought this would be a great way to do that. As a babysitter and nanny, I have observed many different styles of parenting. Now, as many of my friends are beginning to start families, I have even more opportunities to observe. These observations prompted me to start researching. I started reading books about pregnancy and childbirth, and then parenting.

Through my observations, I've learned that in general, parents do more research about cribs and car seats than they do about being an effective and skilled parent. When I tell anyone about a good book I've read regarding parenting, the first question out of their mouth is always, "Are you pregnant?" or "Do you have kids?". This makes me wonder why it's such a foreign concept for anyone to begin to research parenting before they're pregnant or already a parent. When you want to become a doctor, there are years of schooling and training you must go through. The same applies for any other job. So, why is it that we don't seem to value training to be a parent when most parents would say that it is the most important job they've ever had? I want to change the way people think about parenting. Just because we have the natural ability to create a child doesn't mean we are naturally equipped with all the knowledge and skill that raising a child requires.

Through this blog, I'll share with you any books I read that I think have good information about pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting; along with my thoughts about them. I'll also share any documentaries/movies I watch that I think have valuable information.

Let's commit to learning how to be the best and most effective parents we can be.

2 comments:

  1. Karilyn! I love this!! Seriously...it makes so much sense. I am your newest blog stalker. Hee, hee! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add me to the fan list:) I have shed enough layers of my ego to say that you have so much to teach me. As a parent of three that is newly aware of our mainstream lives that we have lead...I know there is so much to learn and so little time. I also know that the most inspiring place to learn is from a passionate voice. I am so glad that you are hearing your calling more clearly and I know it is is going to take you to amazing places. I am so blessed to be able to pull up along side your journey and take all that I can from your path. Thank you for being you! Go Supa-educated-passionate-used to be-Nanny:) K

    ReplyDelete