Sunday, April 19, 2009

Which baby carrier do you like?

This is one topic I'm constantly researching. There are TONS of baby carriers out there, and the three types I think are generally the best are slings, wraps, and mei tai's. It may not seem important to get a baby carrier, but there are many benefits of using one. Not only is it just plain convenient when you're doing chores around the house, but it's great for bonding (especially for dads!). And honestly, who wants to carry around a big 'ol car seat everywhere you go? They're awkward and heavy. Visit The Baby Wearer for more information on babywearing and why it's great for you and your baby.

Slings: I originally fell in love with the Peanut Shell. They are SO CUTE! I bought one for my friend Britnee (below), and one for my sister-in-law. They're really simple to use. After walking around for a couple minutes with my friend's son (I think he was around 9 months old at the time?) in it, though, it got kind of heavy. This could be because it wasn't the right size for me. The picture below is my friend Britnee modeling her lovely Peanut Shell with Caiden.
Other brands that make slings are Hotslings, and Maya Wrap. You can also make your own if you're a savvy sewer.

Wraps: From what I've read, these are the most comfortable, because you can spread the weight evenly on both shoulders. They're also very versatile because you can wrap them in many different ways. Some of the wraps on the market are the Storchenwiege (expensive but durable and beautiful), the Moby Wrap, the Bali Baby Wrap, and many others. Just Google "baby wrap" to find more. This is also probably the easiest one to make. All you need is about 2.5-5 yards of breathable, strong fabric and you can wrap it any way you want! Pretty cheap if you go that route. Here are some YouTube videos that demonstrate different ways to wrap your baby. It may seem a little tedious, but if you're going on a long walk or going out for the day, it would be worth it if it's the most comfortable.

Mei Tai: This is easier than a wrap (although not as versatile), but probably more comfortable than a sling. My favorite mei tai is the Kozy Carrier. It's really cute, and they're custom made so you can order exactly what you need. They're also reversable so they can go with a bunch of different outfits:-) You can get one side with a cute pattern, and the other side with a solid color so Daddy can wear it without feeling like a dork. Other good mei tai's are those from Mei Tai Baby, and Baby Hawk (SUPER CUTE!). Again, you can also make your own for a completely custom baby carrier:-)

I need your input! Are you a babywearer? Which carrier is your favorite/most comfortable and why? Which carriers aren't comfortable? That's good to know, too.

7 comments:

  1. I have a baby bjorn and now that little m is nearing 20 lbs. it is not comfortable for very long.
    I'm looking for a new carrier--thanks for the great information. If you want to buy me any to try out as a 'test study' I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am officially old school. "Back when I was having babies"...I adored the Baby Bjorn even though it made my back burn:) It freed up my hands a bit and was great until a certain age. Once their feet started kicking me right in the crotch when they would get excited, they were out;) Can I say crotch on here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Kathy you're hilarious. And Alana you should try making your own wrap and see how it works. Wraps are supposed to be good for supporting older babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karilyn....first off this is a great blog, and at the rate we are going we will use your services and expertise for the next 15 years......maybe longer :). Thanks for the great site, what wrap or shell should we get Brit for numero 2?

    ReplyDelete
  5. With Little J, I started out with a Hotsling. I love that I can carry her in different positions in it. However, as she's gotten bigger (19 lbs now!) my shoulder gets sore. Same problem with the Baby Bjorn. Once your kiddo hits about 18 lbs, the shoulders get sore pretty quick since all the weight is just hanging from them. My new favorite is the Ergo carrier. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and I've fallen in love! The Ergo distributes the weight over your hips and works for kiddos up to 40 lbs. Even after wearing her for hours (literally) I'm still not sore. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thanks for the input! The Ergo does look like it's really supportive around the waist. I wonder how that compares to a mei tai? Has anyone tried a mei tai with an older baby?

    ReplyDelete
  7. For my first baby I was given a carrier with lots of straps and buckles. It seemed complicated and wasn't comfortable for the baby or for me. Now with baby #3 I use a hip sling. I do get sore after a while, but I'm not entirely sure it's the right size, so I'm probably not using it quite correctly. Even so, I can carry my daughter around for an hour or so with my hands free, which is great.

    ReplyDelete