Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Egg Donation

Have you ever considered donating your eggs?

If you've ever known a couple who could not get pregnant on their own (or if you've experienced this yourself) you know how heartbreaking that situation is. We have a friend who was able to get pregnant because of egg donation, and it's so cool to me that people are able to give such an amazing gift to infertile couples. You can find a clinic near you (you can Google "egg donation" and your zip code or city) and apply online. There are requirements like age (21-30), health, weight, etc. After getting medical tests and making sure you're in a stable frame of mind, you are approved and wait for a couple to choose you. When you're chosen, you take a series of self-administered injections to prepare your ovaries for collection (a 20 minute out-patient procedure) and you're paid $5,000-$10,ooo-depending on the agency-upon collection. How sweet is that? Getting paid thousands of dollars to help a couple become parents is pretty awesome.

I've seriously considered doing this myself, but I would not be eligible due to a blood clotting disorder I have. I lose an egg every month that I'm not using, so I wouldn't mind donating it to a deserving couple. I encourage you to do your own research and find out if egg donation is something you'd consider, and tell your friends about it! Here's a link to the site I first learned about this from. Let me know what you think (after you've done your research, of course:-)!

No comments:

Post a Comment