Thursday, June 4, 2009

Poll Results!


For the last few weeks I’ve had two polls up for everyone to vote on.

The first one asked: “Under what circumstance did you become a parent?” 41% of you said that you planned to conceive. The other 59% said that you had an unplanned pregnancy, but you were in a committed relationship or you were married. This relates well to the other poll…

The second poll asked: “When did you start to research parenting information/techniques?” About 21% said, “When we started trying to conceive”. About 29% said, “When I found out I was pregnant”. 21% said, “When I encountered problems with my kids”, and 29% said, “I don’t really research anything, I just figure it out as I go along”.

The reason I started this blog was because I was getting the sense that most parents don’t do a lot of research before they become parents. Not only that, but also most parents don’t do a lot of research when they become parents, or even after they’ve been parents for a while. I learned this because I have always been interested in child development, pregnancy, childbirth, and parenting. So, I’d always be reading books and watching documentaries on those subjects. I began to recommend books to my friends who were pregnant or had kids, and the first thing they would say is, “Do you have kids?” or “Are you pregnant?” Now, I realize that this is a completely normal question to ask, but I realized that there seems to be a rationale that experience is better than knowledge. Experience can be the best way to learn, but when you're responsible for a human life, it's pretty helpful to do your research first.

Now, I’m not trying to step on any toes or send you on a guilt trip. You're not a bad parent if you don't read 5 books a month. That’s not what this is about. It’s about education. My goal is to “Encourage parents to continually increase their knowledge and skills”. The point is that there are so many books, documentaries, websites, and other resources available to parents, but they are not always used, for whatever reason (or excuse). For example, many women (or men, for that matter) aren’t as educated about childbirth as they could be. What’s good for your baby and what’s not? Many women think childbirth is scary and painful, they expect to beg for an epidural, and they dread the whole experience. Instead of watching women scream as they lie flat on their backs on A Baby Story, rent a documentary (The Business of Being Born is a good one, and also Orgasmic Birth) about natural childbirth so you can see what a normal birth looks like. Consider water birth. Know what effect an epidural has on your baby. Know why getting induced may lead to a C-section. Know what questions to ask your OB-GYN, or why you should consider using a midwife instead.

Are there any moments in your life when you stop and think, “There has to be a better way?!” For instance, is bedtime a constant struggle? Does your child throw fits every time you go into public? Are you sick of changing diapers? Those are the golden opportunities for research. When you think there might be a better way, there often is. All it takes is a few minutes with your good friend Google, followed by a trip to the library. And if you think you’re too busy to be reading books, you’re probably in need of them most.

2 comments:

  1. I think it can all be summed up into 2 words..."Too Busy". As a society, we have so much on our plates that we can't even hear our own bodies, let alone what are children are screaming at us. I admire the research that you do and the words that you put together to help others. Keep up the hard work and thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed at how taking the time to work through a problem with my kids always pays off a huge reward - life is so much easier as a result!

    ReplyDelete