Thursday, August 27, 2009

Discipline Tip of the Day

So lately I've been reading through The No-Cry Discipline Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I really liked her other book, The No-Cry Sleep Solution (you can find it in my Top Picks in the side bar). So today I'm bringing you just one of the great tips she talks about.

"Use Positive Words"
All too often we are tempted to use negative words with kids-especially when they're doing something really annoying at the exact moment you've just lost your patience. Words like, "no, don't, and stop!" are overused in our parenting vocabulary. Instead, we can use positive words to convey the same message.

Instead of saying, "Stop hitting your sister!" you can say "Please play nicely with your sister". Or, instead of saying "No, you can't have a candy bar", you can say "You may have an apple or a yogurt".

Not only will you be more pleasant to be around, you'll be setting a good example for your children. That is the goal anyway, isn't it?

You can find this tip on page 84 of Elizabeth Pantley's book, The No-Cry Discipline Solution.

1 comment:

  1. This is so spot on!

    It takes a little more effort but it really does all boil down to who do you want to be. There's an old management adage that I try to remember in my relationship with my kids: "Be what you want to see".

    ReplyDelete