Monday, August 17, 2009

To Induce or Not to Induce...?

Recently my friend Hannah over at Bellies In Bloom wrote a post called The Seduction of Induction. I happen to agree with her on many pregnancy/childbirth issues, and this is one of those things. I have several friends and know many other women who have been induced, and I know it's pretty common these days. I just encourage you to do your research if your doctor recommends that you have an induction or if you are considering it. You can start with Hannah's post. You can also watch The Business of Being Born, which I've written previous posts about. Be informed!

3 comments:

  1. so I got induced with Madisyn. I was 3 days overdue and at that point was just done with being pregnant and wanted to see her. I never ever wanted to be induced, me being a nurse, I knew what it was all about and what could possibly happen. I didn't have any complications, thank goodness. However, with my next baby, I hope to not get induced and just see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the plug! I heard it straight from the mouth of Penny Simpkin. If anyone would know, it would be her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my friend who is the same exact height and weight as me (4'11" 105 lbs- pre baby weight) went against her dr's advice and chose to NOT be induced on her due date. She went a week over and ended up having a c-section because her body was just too small to get the baby out on her own- pelvis wouldnt expand enough :( it has been a week, and she still can't go up her stairs, barley hold her baby and on top of that she can't even breastfeed because recovery was so bad and hindered them suceeding at it. I was worried I had made the wrong choice in listening to my dr about being induced on my due date, but now after seeing what my friend who is the same size as me went through, I know I made the right decision for me. I trust my dr completely and would do it again- anything to avoid a c- section. Thanks for all the info Karilyn, it's great to hear lots of different opionions on this stuff!!

    ReplyDelete