Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Stuff I Believe In...

If you've been reading this blog from the beginning, you know that I've already talked about one of my favorite documentaries, The Business of Being Born. But since this kind of information never goes out of style, I'm talking about it again. Right now I'm taking an Infant Development class and today we talked about the birth process. Some of the girls had no idea what the professor was talking about when she explained how a lot of things are over used in hospitals, such as pitocin, epidurals, and c-sections. One girl raised her hand and asked, "What are the negative effects of using pitocin?" Our professor gave a pretty good answer, but I told the girl to go rent The Business of Being Born for a much more complete explanation. So, here's the trailer to grab your interest if you haven't already seen this amazing documentary.



Now, as with every documentary, you have to understand that they might be exaggerating some of the statistics here and there, and it may seem pretty one-sided. However, this information is the kind of information every pregnant woman should know before she goes into labor. It's an absolute travesty that women are going into labor without the knowledge they need in order to made informed decisions about their birthing experience.

You can rent this DVD from Blockbuster and Netflix. If you haven't seen it, I implore you to get your hands on it! Then share it with your friends:-)

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful movie and I am glad you chose to mention it on your blog. I may have to do the same on mine.

    ReplyDelete