Monday, January 11, 2010

Guest Blogger: Kathy Carlisle


I have a special treat for you today:-) My good friend Kathy graciously agreed to share part of her personal journey to healthy living. Kathy and I met through our husbands, who play basketball together. The first time we hung out together, I knew she was in my life for a reason and that she would be a huge inspiration. Kathy was actually the one who encouraged me to do this blog! I really wanted to share all of my research and knowledge on parenting and child development, but I was scared that nobody would take me seriously since I don't have any kids of my own (yet). Kathy told me to follow my passion and that people would benefit from this information if I shared it. Oh, and by the way, Kathy is the amazing photographer who took all of the pictures for my Onesie Wonderland website, and also my profile picture here on PGS. You can see more of HER passion at Heaven's Eye Photography. P.S.-She has an awesome blog too, so you should check it out:-)

Me and Kathy


"My Journey...
Let me see if I can sum up my life up until the "rebirth" a year ago.
I was an "All-American Girl" living the "All-American" life....or should I say that life was living me.
I have an amazing husband. Three incredible kids. And now...a beautiful blue Dane that keeps us on our toes.
I was going out to eat more and more the busier we got with life.
I considered myself to be healthy with no major problems and thin body type. On the outside...the whole package. On the inside thoughts of...
I want to get healthier. I want to see a naturopath to get rid of my headaches. I want to eat better. I want to cook better. I want more money. I want to inspire and make a difference.
Well, be careful what you wish for:)
All my desires came in the form of a diagnosis....One year ago, at the age of 34, I was diagnosed with MS.
Now before you gasp of feel sorry for me...understand why I may feel sorry for whoever is reading this.

If you have ever been pregnant or are considering getting pregnant then you will know exactly what I am talking about. There is an internal switch inside most women when they are pregnant that tells them to eat better. That they may want to start working out more. Or resting more because you are finally in tune enough with your body to know that it needs just that. Well, we CHOOSE to turn that switch on and to give our bodies the priority for the first times in our lives for many. But, as soon as that baby comes out and mother instincts kick in, all of the sudden our needs and wants go into the back seat again. Not only is that switched flipped to off, it is buried for many years to come...forever for some! Well, MS for me, helped me to go find that switch again and turn it on forever. I have chosen to slow down my life enough now that I can hear my body again. I am choosing to eat healthier and healthier everyday, and I choose to REST when my body tells me to rest (no coffee or energy drink to keep me going...go figure)!

I could blog all day about exactly all that I doing and how it is transforming my life...but I think that will be doing you an injustice by taking away from your own journeys that you are about to embark on.
Some of you may not be able to relate to my story because you are "healthy" and will make changes eventually. Some of you have no idea you are brewing a lovely cancer, or an auto immune disease, or diabetes with the foods you are putting into your body everyday. Some of you are lacking so many of the vital nutrients and have no idea how to make huge changes. Some may have symptoms like headaches, stomach aches, fatigue, funky menstrual cycles, or eczema that you are so used to dealing with, that you have stopped listening to the obvious signs that your body is trying to warn you with.

But something in ALL of us craves better. We all want to be healthier but either don't have the tools to get there or too many walls up that have made the fear masked. Believe me, I have dealt with fear in my journey and I continue to squash it everyday. What happens if we could get curious about our lifestyles again instead of labeling them with, "I'm just too busy." or "I'm just too tired." or finding like-minded people to back us up in our lack of choice making...."that's just how it is, we live in a different society these days". Believe me, I have used EVERY excuse in the world to stay in my easy little world of fast food, convenience and numbing up. Change is never really that easy if you are set in your ways. So open your mind back up to the possibility that you COULD change and that you could CHOOSE to change. Whatever that change may be that you know will make your life better, stop making excuses and letting fear get in your way.

So when I say that a year ago was a "rebirth" for me....I mean that I have begun to live again with fresh eyes. I plan on never letting this dose of perspective get away from me or buried and I will continue to inspire because I am just like you...
full of fears
full of excuses

The difference...the perspective...I KNOW that I am not guaranteed tomorrow. I am grateful for today. I am making CHOICES that aren't mainstream and I am open to change. I continue to be excited for each new day and the adventures that it brings and all life keeps giving me in return is JOY. Love this Life...because it could be different or gone tomorrow!"
-Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Yay for this blog. Yay for soul-feeding friendships. Yay for change...just YAY:) I am honored to be on here sharing webspace with you and am delighted to be an inspiration to whomever my story touches:) You're the best!

    ReplyDelete