Sunday, March 28, 2010

FIRST Sewing Tutorial!

*Courtesy Warning: This post is for women, 
and if you're a man, it may be TMI*

I'm so excited to share with you my very first sewing tutorial! I follow several blogs that always have fun sewing tutorials and I always wanted to do one, so here is the first of many to come! So, you would think that for my first tutorial I'd do some cute baby item since I sew adorable baby clothes for a living (if you haven't been 
to Onesie Wonderland, now's the time). 

But, instead, for my first tutorial I chose something that I've been sort of interested in for a while now: reuseable feminine hygiene products! Yay! If you've never thought about using reuseable products for that time of the month, I'm here to spark your interest:-) Seriously, ladies, think about all of the plastic/paper that we throw in the trash each month (not to mention the money we spend on those products)! To learn more (ex: laundry care) you can go to this FAQ page at Lunapads (this was the main inspiration for my pattern below).

So, without further ado, let's get sewing! For this project you'll need:
  • Cotton fleece for the insert (I used acrylic because that's all the store had but I plan to go find some cotton fleece this week)
  • Flannel for the body of the liner. 
  • 1/4" elastic, about 4 inches in length
  • Velcro, sew on snaps, or a button 


 To begin, I just got a disposable liner and stuck it to a cereal box to make a pattern. Trace around it, then take the liner off and throw it away. 

Next I cut around the center of the liner and put it back and traced it, because this is the shape I want the center portion of my reuseable liner to be. I also traced around the outside for a seam allowance.

Now draw some wings! Don't worry, it doesn't have to be perfect. 

Cut out your pattern, and you're ready to go. 

I cut out the center because that's my center insert pattern. Now cut a couple 2" pieces of elastic. I just laid them on top to show you where they'll eventually go. 

 Now put your center pattern on the fleece, trace, and cut out. 

Now put the rest of your pattern on the wrong side of your flannel fabric, and trace TWO pieces. Cut out. 


Put the two pieces WRONG side together, and stitch around the edge. Leave about an inch and a half open at the end so you can turn it right side out. 


Turn your fabric right side out, and you'll have an opening left that looks like this. 

Turn the edges in, like so. 

Press with a hot iron so it will lay flat and be easy to stitch shut. 

Stitch around the edges with a straight stitch

Lay your center insert on top, and put marks on the sides where you'll place the elastic.


Put one end of the elastic piece a few centimeters past the mark you made. You'll sew right on top of that mark, so you want to leave some extra length. 

Do this for both pieces. Your liner will now look like this. By the way, the purpose of the elastic is so you can add extra inserts onto the liner for heavier days. This makes it easy to change them out when you're on the go, so you don't have to change the entire liner. But when you're making the liner itself, the first insert will be sewn in for light days. 

Place your center insert back down, and turn the other end of the elastic under the edge of the insert. 

Sew on top of the edge of the insert to secure the elastic. 

Now it will look like this!

Repeat for the other end, and now it should look like this. 

Using a zig zag stitch, sew around the edge of the center insert to secure it to the liner. 

Ta-da!

Okay now you just have to sew on the velcro (or snaps, or button). You have to put one side of the velcro on top of the left side, and the other side of the velcro on the bottom of the right side. This way they will come together when you close it. 
This picture is of the scratchy side of the velcro. 

This is the soft side of the velcro, sewn on the bottom of the liner, on the opposite side. 

You're done! Now bring the flaps together to close it, and you have a reuseable pantyliner!




I hope you enjoyed my first sewing tutorial! Let me know if any of the pictures or instructions weren't clear. And of course stay tuned for more tutorials in the future! 

Next I'll show you how to sew a baby swaddler!

No comments:

Post a Comment