Monday, March 7, 2011

Currently Reading: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education

As you may know by now, I'm an advocate for homeschooling. Just check out my previous posts about it here, here, and here. I've learned a lot more about homeschooling since those posts. Recently I checked out a book from the McPherson Public Library called "The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education" by Grace Llewellyn. I'm only on page 48, and I love it. I sort of had a "lightbulb" moment when reading it just now. 


I think a huge road block for parents when they think about homeschooling is they don't feel like they have the skill or knowledge base to teach their children EVERYTHING they need to know. Well, the great part about that is: you don't need to. Children are born with a love of learning, and believe it or not, they can actually teach themselves! All you need to do as a parent is provide them with the resources. The best resource a kid can have is your public library. Not only that, but daily life activities are great teaching tools. Do you have a garden? Do you like to sew? Do you like to cook? Do you love to travel? Taking your kids out of school actually frees them up to experience life! All of those activities I just listed have multitudes of math, science, geography, and history lessons! And they're actually FUN to learn when you're not held hostage by grades at the end of the lesson. 


I can't wait to read more of this book (oh by the way, I hated reading in school, but I LOVE to read books that I actually get to choose;-) and I promise I'll write many more posts about what I learn from it. 

In the meantime, if you're interested in reading about the daily lives of people who actually homeschool, hop on over to The Pioneer Woman and see how much fun they're having!

No comments:

Post a Comment